Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Wed May 11 13:58:51 MST 2011

Thus spake lancel:
> I did some more testing on W2k VM 32-bit, XP SP3 32-bit, W7 32-bit and
> W7 64-bit.  All of them failed but on checking the Filemon logs, I got a
> clue when I noticed that something seemed to happen when glew32.dll was
> loaded.  So I went to glew32.dll's SourceForge location to download its
> latest.  After replacing the file, my W7 64-bit works but all others
> still fail.

So you replaced the glew32.dll that I built, and then it worked on
64-bit Windows? I don't know what to make of that. The glew32.dll I
supplied is 32-bit, but if it's *just* a bitness issue, then I would
expect the one I suppied to work on the other systems you tried. What
happens if you dump in the 32-bit GLEW DLL from their site and try that
on your 32-bit systems?

> I then looked at the log files produced by running the glewinfo.exe
> utility that comes with the glew32 download.  The log files suggest that
> the OpenGL binaries on my 32-bit machines are no newer than 2 whereas my
> gaming W7 64-bit is patched all the way to 4.  I think that because my
> W7 64-bit has a real graphics card, when its drivers were installed, its
> installation package probably automatically upgraded the W7 system with
> the latest OpenGL binaries whereas all my other 32-bit machines are
> still using those default ones that come with the OS.  For example, I
> think the glDrawArrays call works only if the OpenGL is at least of
> version 3.1 or above.

Here's a complete list of the OpenGL functions the demo uses, sorted by
the minimum version of OpenGL which supports them:

OpenGL 1.1

glBindTexture
glBlendFunc
glClear
glClearColor
glColor4f
glColorPointer
glDeleteTextures
glDisable
glDisableClientState
glDrawArrays
glEnable
glEnableClientState
glGenTextures
glGetDoublev
glGetFloatv
glGetIntegerv
glLoadIdentity
glMatrixMode
glPixelStorei
glReadPixels
glShadeModel
glTexCoordPointer
glTexImage2D
glTexParameterf
glTexParameteri
glVertexPointer
glViewport

OpenGL 1.5

glBindBuffer
glBufferData
glDeleteBuffers
glGenBuffers

The OpenGL 1.5 functions we're using are also present in the
ARB_vertex_buffer_object extension. It might be that the way we need to
handle this is by calling the ARB versions on Windows. I *thought* part
of the point of GLEW was that the function pointers for the core
functions would point to the ARB versions on Windows in the event that
the core ones weren't there... Possibly I've misunderstood this, but
then I'm not sure what exactly GLEW is for if not that.