[messages] Edit: [Developers] Documentation of XML file

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Fri May 27 05:58:13 MST 2011

Thus spake amphiprion:

> Hello,
> I'm working on a VASSAL like (HMI refatoring and ergonomy) for Android
> Tablets. So i would like to be only a VASSAL client, and not create a
> concurrent product, but to achieve that, i need to understand fully the
> module xml file.

Would you be interested in contributing code for the kind of view
appropriate for tablets? The VASSAL 4 plan is for Views to be entirely
separate from the backend. I'd like to have someone familiar with
tablet development on board, as none of us have done anything like that
before.

> I see in the Roadmap 4, the goal to create real XML files and not hybrid
> files as for now, so i though, i will find somewhere a documentation
> that will allow to achieve that goal.
>
> But i have searched, and i did not succeed to not find a documentation
> of the XML.
>
> Have you this kind of stuff ?

There is no documentation for the buildFile format used in VASSAL 3.1.
If you need to read it, the bese thing to do is look at the code.

There is no documentation for the format we're going to switch to because
we're still designing it, but I fully intend to produce some. We'd welcome
help there, also.