[messages] [General Discussion] Re: How should opponent-finding work?

JoelCFC25 jkoepp at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 14 09:15:40 MST 2011

I don't have a comprehensive response, but it's a great topic. One thing
that has occurred to me in the past is that it would be nice to have a
general chat lobby that isn't module-specific (basically mimicking what
the Gametableonline service does). Right now the only way you can chat
is to launch a module and look for a game online, and even then you're
limited to the group of users that have the same module open. If you see
people in the "lobby" for a different game in the Server Status display,
you can't speak to them until you open that module.

On a related note, the ability to check someone else's profile to see
what version of a module they are using is very helpful, but it's not
available until you also have that module open and are looking for an
online game. Maybe the module name(s) and version(s) another user has
running could be displayed in a mouseover tip? It's probably non-obvious
to many newcomers that you can right-click someone's name and get this
information currently.

So my suggestions (without knowing how feasible they are) would be to
have module version checking and chat work in a more general way that
isn't tied to use of a specific module.