[messages] [Developers] Re: client-server architecture for VASSAL 4

DrNostromo drnostromo at drnostromo.com
Wed Nov 23 20:40:55 MST 2011

> P4, that it would be nice to be able to drop in to a room where you
> don't yet have the module, is a request I've seen numerous times. With
> G2 met, it would be possible for clients to send modules to each other
> in most cases, without sending them through the server.
>
> G4. Let clients send modules to other clients.

...or a re-direct. I've run several Call of Duty servers and used my own
FTP for a file re-direct for my mods and maps. Anyone connects to the
server, the re-direct automatically downloads all the necessary files to
the client. I would imagine a lot of Vassal developers would like this
as it allows them to control the files and, if they make updates or
changes, the files can be automatically updated to whatever version the
host is running. In other words, they won't have to go to a module page
and download and install the new versions. All they have to do is
connect to the host.

Re-directs would also obviously eliminate any download bandwidth on the
server.