[messages] [Developers] Re: client-server architecture for VASSAL 4

bdgza bdegroot at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 02:36:43 MST 2011

If I could run my own server (G3), then I could take the responsibility
of storing the game states (P5) on my own server for my own hosted
game(s), without needing (to purchase) online cloud space.

A big opportunity with server-stored gamestates would be to store the
history of the game, rather than only the last logfile. Exchanging log
files is pretty straightforward in a one-on-one game, but with
multiplayer games it quickly becomes difficult to keep track of who did
what. If all previous "logs" are stored in a sequential timeline on the
server, you could jump in at any point and replay what happened from
that point.