[messages] [General Discussion] Re: Have I got this feature list right?

Brent Easton b.easton at exemail.com.au
Wed Nov 30 14:33:38 MST 2011

Hi,
Had a quick look and have a couple of comments.

1.__ Private Server: No __is not strictly true. You can run online games
without using the public Vassal server. Unfortunately, in the current
version of Vassal, this feature is a bit obscure and difficult to find.
This is being addressed in V3.2, where it will be a lot easier for
people to start a server using their own copy of Vassal.

2.__ Requires No Programming Skill to Design: No__ I would disagree
with, as with your statement that '_it can become unwieldy for
prototyping and testing purposes._.

I would say the opposite in fact. For Prototyping and testing purposes,
you do not need to use any advanced features at all, just bung in your
basic pieces with a few images/layers and move everything by hand.

I have helped a game developer prototype and build a number of games and
in each case we started with a basic set of counters with no fancy stuff
that was built in a few hours. The developer played with this, changes
where made, new artwork dropped in, counters added and deleted. When he
was happy with the design, we added the fancy functionality to make
game-play easier.

I also have a question about what 'Edit Game Rules Documentation' means?

Regards,
Brent.