[messages] [Feature Requests] Ramblings of mine about recording/play back etc

anonemous123 scottypitcher at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 19:54:26 MST 2012

I think each log file should be stamped at the end with "user name +
time-date". That is pretty unique. Any log file created on the end of
the playback (i.e. I replay the log file then sometime later start
recording mine and that indeed could be immediately, or at a later
session perhaps next day or next week after I reload the vsav file)
should have this "link" to the previous logfile, the user name and
time+date. If, during a multiple player game, a player inadvertently
tries to playback a log out of sequence, the program could easily
identify this and warn the user. Actually, you could just use some
unique atom rather than user name and time-date, or in addition to it.
The important thing is that this log file be uniquely identified among
all log files.

You could get quite clever here, and in each log file, keep a link to
all the previous log files - just the user name and time-date and any
other unique identifying information.

This would also solve another problem I have had, where a player makes
some kind of error during the turn, and the other players suggests that
this player should correct the move. Did the first player then send the
other player a replacement log file or one that is supposed to be
appended to his last one? Currently I try to enforce the rule that the
file name should have the sequence number at the start i.e. First log
file is "000xxxxxx" or "001xxxxx", next is number+1. Something along
those lines. So if you get a log file with the same sequence number
after a correction then it replaces the last log file. Now, I don't want
Vassal to enforce any naming conventions for the log files - we can take
care of that ourselves and the conventions vary with game and number of
players. But, Vassal should be aware of where in the sequence this
particular log file belongs. If I try to replay it on the end of the
wrong log file (i.e. some other log file), I expect Vassal to pop up and
warn me. Now, I don't want it to NOT replay the log file if I still
insist, but I would like it to warn me in big bold letters that the game
may now be inconsistent.

Now in fact if the game keeps a record of all the previous log files
that have been recorded to bring the game to this point, you could look
this information up in a list and perhaps glean other useful facts from
it. For example, how fast individual players take their turn. "Is it my
turn or yours now it's been 3 weeks since I last saw a log file and have
forgotten?" Has Joe had his turn yet, this round has taken 3 weeks and I
can't remember? .... These are just ideas but with the simple "link" to
previous log files, you can accomplish a lot of other things.

The issue of what is consistent playback is an easy one. Each event is
unique and occurs at a unique time in a linear sequence among all the
other events. When 2 players go for the same piece, only one can grab it
and move it. The other player will grab thin air. But this situation
only arises in real time play, and the issue here is one of concurrent
access to the game interface and not a log file problem. There is no
simultaneous or concurrent playback of different log files, because
either the players recorded their moves separately and their log files
get played back one after another in sequence, or they were playing in
real time in which case there is only one log showing the sequence of
all players moves. If you try to develop a game where both players
conduct game play in log files separately and then try to merge them
later, this introduces all kinds of contention problems, access to
pieces etc, and I suspect at that point how to merge log files will be a
fairly trivial side issue.

Cheers,
Scott