[messages] [Module Design] How to ... hex numbering on a hexgrid inside a zone?

anonemous123 scottypitcher at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 21:34:31 MST 2012

I have a __2870px x 2657px__ map which I carved up into small pieces to
make the module less memory hungry. Basically I now have 5x3 = 15 tiles
which make up the map.

So I replaced the one large map with ....

I added each tile as a board into the map. I set the default layout for
the map pieces using "Select Default Board Setup".

Now, this map has a hex grid, but I needed it zoned because the hex grid
covers around 80% of the map with the edge portions being offboard areas
like sea, neutral countries, playing aid charts etc.

So, in each of the 15 map boards I add a Multi-Zoned-Grid. And in each
of those, I add a Zone for the part of that zone which is covered by
hexes. I define the shape for each zone. I set the location format to
"$gridLocation$", but I leave "Use boards grid" and "use Highlighting"
unchecked.

Then I go and add a hex grid, which of course fits nicely into the zone
so it only covers the area covered by the actual hexes not the adjacent
offboard non-hex areas.

Then inside the hex grid I add grid numbering. Here is the problem, this
hex grid number does not show up on the map board. If I copy this hex
grid with numbering up into the map board (so that it sits at same level
as the zone but not inside of it), then it shows up on the map, however
it then covers the whole map tile with hex labels even the areas I
marked as outside the hex zone. But, when it is inside the zone, it
doesn't display the hex grid numbers. Oh, they still work, because
movement reporting reports the correct grid numbers, and mouse over
viewer also reports the correct numbers, and yes that respects the zone
boundary correctly. The hex grid numbering just doesn't display on the
map.

Regards,
Scott