[messages] [Feature Requests] Feature requests.. simple ones, I think

barbanera barbanera at fantafoot.com
Sat Apr 7 02:15:34 MST 2012

> Correct me if I am wrong, but I think barbanera is coming from the
> Windows perspective, and wants a program where you spend your whole
> time clicking to get things done. Is this correct? Personally I will
> give this the big thumbs down and vote against this. We need more
> short cut keys not less.

While it's true that in recent years I have been almost 100% Windows
based, I don't think that is the real issue here.

After all, what about all the people coming from the Apple perspective?
Even much less used to gymnicks such as command key short-cuts than
Windows user, I bet!

Any way, the real issue I think is that I am coming from the gaming
perspective. Ask any Doom or World of Warcraft or The Sims player if
they normally use command key short cuts to play or not. Or if, instead,
they are used to click on something, have some window/toolbar/etc
popping up, select icon/button/whatever to issue orders etc.  I haven't
actually played any of the above games but I think you can see my point
(I strongly doubt there are combo key combinations to do most things if
at all!).

IMHO, it is a matter of playing style or module designing style. If a
module follows the typical Vassal tradition of giving a virtual game
table and virtual components to players to mess around at will, then
combo keys are a must, I guess, and kudos to that and if the developers
want to give more fine by me. However, if the module wants to try
enforcing rules and give a video/pc game look and feel to the game play,
then it should be possible to avoid right click commands and,
especially, combo keys.

I don't think it would be too difficult for the developers to give a
simple option "turn combo keys off from showing in right click menu" at
Global Options level or, even better, at map level (so that in some map
one might want to have some combo keys showing, and in some others not).