[messages] [Feature Requests] Feature requests.. simple ones, I think

anonemous123 scottypitcher at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 17:19:57 MST 2012

"barbanera" wrote:
> I couldn't give a dime more than you do for Apple users. I was just
> making the point if that you seem to be sneering at me for coming from
> Windows perspective, then imagine whoever comes from an Apple one.
> Indeed, I tried yesterday a game online vs my nephew who was using a
> MacBook and right clicking (or even left clicking) was a real pain in
> the neck.

Yep agreed about the Apple problems. I've been in the same situation
before.

"barbanera" wrote:

> anymore! Hell, I will surely be happy to provide a chart of all
> available right-click short cuts for whoever prefers to use them! In
> my humble opinion, though, a large chunk of players - those coming
> from a pc/video game background rather than a
> geek/programmer/mighty-Vassal-geek one - would benefit instead from
> not having the confusion of combo keys showing up, at least initially.
>
> Lastly, since you went into discussing rule enforcement, then I must
> say that I object to your absolutistic tone and I feel commited to
> point out a couple things:
>
> 1) if you don't like enforcing rules with Vassal it's just your
> personal opinion, isn't it? You should probably concede other people,
> even if a minority out there, might like to actually try enforce
> rules, at least for certain games where the module designer feels it
> might make a difference in the enjoyment of the game. As for myself, I
> decided the game I was interested in would greatly benefit from some
> form of rule enforcement, turning it from overlong and convoluted to
> play (real life) to actually enjoyable. Or that was my gamble, .....

My point still stands. Thats how I design the modules and the rational
behind it. I think where you are coming from is a different type of
game, thats why I made the point about using Flash and I am serious
about that. It will do those things for you. In a previous posting you
mentioned Doom and other games like that, and I just couldn't see the
connection here. Perhaps new games appearing which are Vassal only, or
didn't originate as a real paper and cardboard game, might be drawing
development in that direction? It is cool if you want to do that stuff,
but just be mindful while you guys push the envelope in a different
direction, that some of us are using it for traditional board games. And
for us, keyboard short cuts are not gymnicks (sic) - your words.

Cheers,
Scott