[messages] [Feature Requests] Side specific layers (language choice!)

barbanera barbanera at fantafoot.com
Sun Apr 15 07:56:38 MST 2012

I think it would be very nice to have layers able to follow the value of
a $..$ variable.

Right now if you have them follow __Hits__ - where Hits is a gp or dp -
it works. But it doesn't work if you have the layer follow things like
$Hits$ or $CurrentMap$_Hits or $CurrentSide$_Hits or $BasicName$_Hits
etc etc. Most of these examples are possibly pointless but consider the
possibility of having a layer follow:

$playerSide$_language

I know this is even more difficult, because while BasicName or
CurrentMap are the same on every side's screen, playerSide and
playerName are not.. thus potentially affecting the synchronization
process.

However, if that could be done, then I could have a layer on my cards
showing to player BLUE the English version of the card (BLUE_language=0)
or the Italian one (BLUE_language=1) etc while player RED will see the
same card in English or Italian etc based on his/her own language
choice!

In other words, an Italian and an English player could play the same
game, each one seeing the Italian or English version of the same
pieces/cards on their own screen, independent of each other.

Any idea how difficult this would be to get in a future release of
Vassal?

Or any alternative idea on how to accomplish language customization of
cards/pieces at side level (not just a generic default language all
sides have to agree to)? I can only think of very convoluted methods
using multiple masks etc, which would need the player clicking on the
cards to see his/her preferred language translation (with un-clicked
default being English, say).