[messages] [Feature Requests] Feature requests.. simple ones, I think

barbanera barbanera at fantafoot.com
Tue Apr 17 12:16:38 MST 2012

> Of the ways we could go---always showing hotkeys in menus, never
> showing
> hotkeys in menus, showing hotkeys in menus if the platform does,
> making
> the display of hotkeys in menus a settable preference, or making the
> the display of hotkeys in menus settable by the module
> designer---there
> is __no way we're doing the last one__. It's a recipe for user
> confusion.

I want to start by saying that this whole argument is really moot. I
don't really care if combo-keys will never disappear from Vassal's right
click menus. I can live with them and I am happy enough to work with the
engine as is and thank you for the good (and free) work to all
developers, of course. I just personally believe my own module (I
wouldn't presume about everybody else's) would benefit from reduced
clutter in right-click menus, but it is not a make or break feature.

I didn't think requesting an option to hide key commands from the right
click menu (but not remove: they are still there and I could give a list
of key commands in a help page for whoever wishes to use them!) would
cause such a crusade on what's wrong and what's right.

Especially, not such strong positions like "no way we are doing it". In
other words, you are saying that even if took you (or some other willing
developer) just 10 minutes of your time to allow for this feature you
wouldn't allow it because you want to impose your own view of what's not
acceptable even in my OWN module?

Wow.. :)