[messages] [General Discussion] Vassal 3,2 and 4

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Sat Apr 21 18:10:24 MST 2012

Thus spake Slarty:
> I've done a few now and seem to be getting the hang of it.
>
> However it does seem painfully slow. Is it possible to access the error
> logs in any other way? If we could search a file containing all of the
> text from all of the logs then duplicates could probably be found a lot
> quicker simply by searching for the first line or 2 from each code in
> all of the others to see if it was the first line in any other.
> Obviously some care would be needed, but I think it would be much
> easier. If no such file is available then it might even be possible to
> copy and paste them into a small set of word docs in a single folder and
> search that. Might even detect old bugs from old reports that have
> already been fixed.

I believe the right way to do this is to hash the stack traces, similar
to what RedHat's Bugzilla instance does. Stack traces which hash the
same are from the same bug with probability close to 1. However, doing
this would require some programming effort on the server side. I likely
will do the work required for it for V4, but that work will be somewhat
different from what's needed for V3.