[messages] [General Discussion] Re: Hmm, Moving counter oddness?

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Sun Jan 1 14:47:30 MST 2012

Thus spake irishwulf:
> I am also having this exact problem on Win7 + Java 1.7.0_02 + Vassal
> 3.1.17.  As Totalgit suggests, the problem started immediately after
> updating to 1.7.0 (or rather, after having an update thrust upon me).
> But yes, the positioning is working correctly, so it is a minor
> annoyance.

The behavior of something in Java changed from 1.6 to 1.7. It could be
a Java bug, it could be a documented change, it could be that we were
relying on a behavior which wasn't required by the API which has since
changed.

>    In the meantime, perhaps you developer types can clue me in on why
> Vassal insists on running with 1.7.0 - I have set JAVA_HOME, copied my
> old java.exe and javaw.exe to system32, and disabled the 1.7.0
> references in the Java runtime environment settings in my control panel.
>  "Java -version" from a command prompt gives me 1.6.0_30.  What am I
> missing?

Try running the batch file which ships with VASSAL. Does that run with
Java 1.6? If so, then the executable which normally launches VASSAL is
what's finding Java 1.7, possibly from something in the Windows
registry.