[messages] [Module Design] Re: Number of players

DrNostromo drnostromo at drnostromo.com
Sun Jan 15 09:02:33 MST 2012

> How do I find out how many players are "connected" at the start of a
> game via the Vassal server? And their nicknames?

You can't do that. However, you can create an initialization process for
your players. This is something I do in most of my modules as the game
setup is generally dependent upon how many players are in the game.

Create a initialization button for each player and a Game Start button.
As each player logs into the game, they click their initialization
button. You can have this button increase a Global Property (something
like PlayerCount) to keep track of the number of players and you can set
up any number of other properties for each player.

Once all active player are initialized, click the Start Game button and
have it do whatever it needs to do based on the PlayerCount.

> I would also like to possibly show the name of the players next to
> some turn tracker/victory track counter.

You can set up an At-Start stack that displays the name of the player
anywhere you like. See page 58 of the Designers Guide for more
information on Text Labels.

http://www.vassalengine.org/mediawiki/i ... rguide.pdf[1]

[1] http://www.vassalengine.org/mediawiki/images/b/b0/Vassal_3.1_designerguide.pdf