[messages] [General Discussion] Re: revisiting preventing rigged dice rolls in online play

irishwulf irishwulf at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 12:30:21 MST 2012

Actually, I was thinking something similar, but why the encryption at
all?  Is it to prevent 'looking ahead' before committing your actions?
The problem I anticipate is that for many games you would want to know
what the result of the die roll is right away, before you can take
further actions - but then if you know what the die result is before
it's committed, you might change your mind about an action that you
don't like the result of.  So to me it boils down to figuring a way to
ensure that the die roll and the commitment to that roll are linked
atomically.
Rather than sharing seeds, it seems like all that would be required
would be a server-side database to store some kind of roll identifier
and a result.  The roll identifier could be a concatenation of a
(sequential) game ID and a sequential number, like
'BitterButterBattle_06286_0003', which would be the third roll of the
6286th game of BitterButterBattle. Whenever you need to roll a die in
PBEM, Vassal could query the database for the next number in the
sequence, then post back the result to the database - and then store the
roll ID as part of the turn encoding.  People would still be able to
back out of rolls - to me, one of the key features of Vassal is the
flexibility to undo mistakes, just as in tabletop games - but if you're
missing a number in the sequence, you would receive a notification, and
your partner would simply have some 'splaining to do.