[messages] [General Discussion] Re: revisiting preventing rigged dice rolls in online play

ewilen elliot.wilen at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 15:04:31 MST 2012

Thanks, I realize this may sound like straining at a gnat and swallowing
a camel to some, but it's been a concern for some users; see the thread
I linked and this one[1] as well. Especially for tournaments, I think
everyone would be more comfortable if the integrity of die-rolling could
be guaranteed.

Also, I'm hoping that some developer will see this as an interesting
challenge worth implementing just for the sake of it. Sadly, I don't
have the skills.

With respect to authenticating the key, while (again) I'm sure there are
already well-proven methods available, another idea would be to generate
a random key of sufficient length, and then use the key itself as the
"padding" for the encrypted seed. I assume/suspect that it would be very
hard to create a encrypted message that decrypts into (payloadA + keyA)
if decrypted with keyA, and (payloadB + keyB) if decrypted with keyB. Of
course, this will only work if using the key as the "padding" doesn't
make the key easy to guess, but again, I suspect it wouldn't.

However, enough speculation from me on that point. Hopefully someone who
really understands cryptography could suggest an appropriate method.

[1] http://www.vassalengine.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570