[messages] [General Discussion] Help us fight SOPA and PIPA

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Tue Jan 24 21:25:44 MST 2012

Thus spake Michael Kiefte:

> Joel, you should put something on the main website.

I debated about whether it was appropriate to do this, and came to the
conclusion that, yes, we should---and by then SOPA was dead. When this
comes up again, and I'm sure it will in the not-so-distant future, I
will put something on the front page.

> If those laws go into effect and someone accuses vassalengine.org of
> copyright violation--whether proved or not--the site will go down.  I think
> it's hosted in the U.S., no?

Yes, in Arizona. We---along with everyone else---would look for a non-US
host should something like SOPA become law in the US.

> Maybe we should put something on CSW as well.  I was just on the GMT folder
> and there are some favourable views regarding those two laws.  I don't
> think a lot of people understand how much of a blunt instrument those two
> laws are.

Wow, really? Regarding the effect of SOPA on VASSAL in particular, or
just about SOPA in general?