[messages] [Module Design] Re: global key command in player hand

JustaBill martinson2005 at netscape.net
Tue Jan 31 05:48:49 MST 2012

"Tim M" wrote:
> If you want to draw a player handcard from the main board using a
> button GKC in the player hand you must specify the correct property so
> that the GKC knows where to look otherwise it will only work in its
> current map (which in this case is the player hand)
>
> So what you will need is something like (replace the variables after
> "=" to match your terminology)
>
> CurrentMap = NameOfYourMapWithDeck && DeckName = NameOfYourDeck

Whoa ... are you saying that the matching expression has an implicit
"CurrentMap = thisMap" constraint, but the parser looks to see if you
include your own "CurrentMap =" clause and then overrides the implicit
constraint?  That sounds like a highly irregular way to apply
conditions.

I'm I'm reading you correctly, you are saying "Type = X && CurrentMap =
MyMap" matches all X-components on MyMap, but "Type = X" by itself
matches all X-components on the _current_ map.  I think most of us would
expect the latter to match X-components on _all_ maps due to the obvious
lack of any CurrentMap condition.

Am I getting this wrong?

"irishwulf" wrote:
> 1) Make an at-start stack in your player hand with one piece, no
> image, to get the cards for you.  I call mine CardRetriever.
> 2) Give CardRetriever a GKC trait to do what you wanted your button to
> do, i.e. send CTRL-A to 1 card with matching properties: DeckName =
> yourDeck.  You don't need to specify CurrentMap = Main Map, but you
> can and it's probably a good idea.  The 'Keyboard Command' can be
> anything you like, even CTRL-A.
> 3) Now redirect your GKC button to trigger the GKC trait on
> CardRetriever; so use matching properties: BasicName = CardRetriever
> and have the GKC match the 'Keyboard Command' you picked for the GKC
> trait on that piece.

Wouldn't CardRetriever have to have a different name for each player's
hand?  And possibly a different keystroke for each player?

Man, I must really be out of phase with this whole topic 'cause these
answers are confusing me a lot.