[messages] [General Discussion] setup own server

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Sat Jul 14 02:15:09 MST 2012

Thus spake Filip:
> I'm not sure if I understand how Vassal server works. I always imagined
> there's some separate application running on the server. Is it just that
> file?

That file is what the client uses to determine where to connect. The
entry point for the server itself is in VASSAL.chat.node.Server.

>  Would it be enough to change the URL to information stored in a text
> file on the same machine, then everybody edits their configuration
> files, changing nodeHost to the IP of whoever works as server?

No, becuase the URL which points to that text file is unfortunately
hard-coded in the client. You also have to change the URL in the client,
which will require recompiling.