[messages] [Technical Support & Bugs] opacity with line of sight, and inverted units

ewilen elliot.wilen at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 14:26:47 MST 2012

Model: MacBook Pro 15" Feb. 2008
OS: Mac OS 10.6.8
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz
Memory: 4 GB
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
VASSAL: 3.1.19
java version "1.6.0_33"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_33-b03-424-10M3720)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.8-b03-424, mixed mode)

Module: Panzerblitz/Panzer Leader module 3.5b05

The module comes with the LOS Thread set to "Hide Pieces while drawing"
and opacity of hidden pieces 0%.

I find it helps to give pieces some opacity, so I set it to, say, 30%.
(Right click on module in Vassal module library > Edit > Expand Mapboard
> Line of Sight Thread > Opacity of Hidden Pieces. Change value, then
save.)

Now I go to scenario 2 or 3. These use inverted pieces during the beach
landing so that the German doesn't know what he's shooting at. Put an
allied unit on the board and then click the LOS/LOF button.

Expected behavior: the allied unit will be made transparent but the
silhouette and values won't be visible.
Actual behavior: the allied unit becomes transparent and its silhouette
and values are visible.

Workaround are to either go back to 0% opacity or to turn off the "hide
pieces" option--neither is ideal. I'd like to see where units are on the
board when I draw LOS (so I can easily see what hex to draw to), but I'd
also like to see underlying terrain.