[messages] [Module Design] C# .NET custom modules... Way or No Way?

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Mon Jul 23 02:36:26 MST 2012

Thus spake mroyer:
> I understand that the VASSAL engine is Java and sits on the Java runtime
> environment.
> However, I have no experience in Java, but a fair amount of experience
> in C# on the .NET framework.
>
> Is there any possibility a custom module could be created in C#/.NET and
> somehow connected into a VASSAL module?  If so, any thoughts on how such
> a thing might be accomplished?

Things like this are always possible with enough effort. What it would
involve is either creating a C# interpreter which runs in the JVM or
a compiler which compiles C# to Java bytecode. The former would require
writing far more Java than exists in all custom module code combined;
the latter you could do in any language, but would require a thorough
understanding of compilers and the Java bytecode language. Both would
require a great deal of skill and time to do correctly.