[messages] [Technical Support & Bugs] Small Grey Dot Dead Centre of Pieces

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Sun Jul 29 07:25:24 MST 2012

Thus spake barbanera:

> "uckelman" wrote:
> > Thus spake yangtze:
> > >
> > > http://www.mediafire.com/?tie08iha7j1j0d8[1]
> > >

> > I checked Stalin's War. The dots are caused by the Movement Trail
> > trait.
> > In particular, they disappear when "Trails start visible?" is
> > unchecked,
> > but that appears also to have the effect of disabling movement trails
> > altogether when there's no key command defined.
> >
> > It's unclear to me what the right thing to do here is.
> >
> > --
> > J.
>

> Never used the Movement Trail myself, but maybe leaving "Trails start
> visible" unchecked but fixing the engine so that trails do show up even
> with no key command defined is the ideal solution?
>
> [1] http://www.mediafire.com/?tie08iha7j1j0d8

This turned out to be a bug in the way line segments were drawn. There
was no check of whether the final point in the points list is the same
as the current location of the piece, which resulted in a zero-length
(but not zero-width) line segment being drawn at the location of each
unmoved piece.

This bug has existed as long as the Movement Trail trait has. It's
amazing to me that no one told us about it before.

Try 3.1.20-svn8234:

  http://www.vassalengine.org/~uckelman/builds/