[messages] [Developers] Slow map repaint...

mroyer mroyer1 at comcast.net
Mon Jul 30 14:31:19 MST 2012

The latest build "VASSAL-3.2.0-svn8249-windows.exe" seems to have an
elusive issue with repainting the tiles of a large map to the map
window.  I can't isolate it or describe it well, so I mention it mainly
in case anyone else is experiencing similar issues.

It is too elusive for me to give much more info (I'll try to describe
the symptoms below) and it could be my computer.  However, I didn't not
experience the problem with earlier builds 8221 or 8186 - it seems to
have cropped up in the last few days after installing 8249.

Symptoms: I have a very large map in my module and when I scroll to
another region, or zoom in or out in the same region, on occasion the
map doesn't repaint, or only partially repaints a few tiles.  Usually it
repaints quickly (in a second or two) and works fine as expected.  But
other times it seems to bog down and takes 10 to 20 seconds, and
sometimes much, much longer for the repaint to complete.  On occasion
the repaint  never finishes - at least not as long as my patience holds
out. One time, various map tiles kept blinking in and out on the screen,
endlessly. It seems that once it gets into this state, it stays bogged
down for good and I have to close and re-open the module to get it to
run snappy again.  It feels like some sort of memory leak or overflow
issue.

I will continue to try to figure out when it occurs and what triggers it
if I can - or if it clears up and turns out to be my computer I will let
you know.

-Mark R.