[messages] [Developers] Slow map repaint...

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Mon Jul 30 14:43:19 MST 2012

Thus spake mroyer:
> The latest build "VASSAL-3.2.0-svn8249-windows.exe" seems to have an
> elusive issue with repainting the tiles of a large map to the map
> window.  I can't isolate it or describe it well, so I mention it mainly
> in case anyone else is experiencing similar issues.
>
> It is too elusive for me to give much more info (I'll try to describe
> the symptoms below) and it could be my computer.  However, I didn't not
> experience the problem with earlier builds 8221 or 8186 - it seems to
> have cropped up in the last few days after installing 8249.

The only thing which changed in the graphics pipeline on the trunk
between 8221 and 8249 is a bug fix for the boundaries of tiles which
are rotated 180 or 270 degrees. Is your map flipped?

> Symptoms: I have a very large map in my module and when I scroll to
> another region, or zoom in or out in the same region, on occasion the
> map doesn't repaint, or only partially repaints a few tiles.  Usually it
> repaints quickly (in a second or two) and works fine as expected.  But
> other times it seems to bog down and takes 10 to 20 seconds, and
> sometimes much, much longer for the repaint to complete.  On occasion
> the repaint  never finishes - at least not as long as my patience holds
> out. One time, various map tiles kept blinking in and out on the screen,
> endlessly. It seems that once it gets into this state, it stays bogged
> down for good and I have to close and re-open the module to get it to
> run snappy again.  It feels like some sort of memory leak or overflow
> issue.

This is what I would expect to see if the tiles which are displayed on
screen come very close to filling your image cache. You might need to
increase your max heap a bit.