[messages] [Module General Discussion] A World At Arms - WW2 Global Grand Strategy

mroyer mroyer1 at comcast.net
Mon Jul 30 20:14:24 MST 2012

For about two years now, I have been working on "A World At Arms" (WAA),
a VASSAL-only grand strategy game of WW2.  WAA is a highly modified,
sanctioned derivative of Avalanche Press’s John Prados' Third Reich
(JP3R) and the Great Pacific War.  While it's JP3R roots are still
visible, the game bears little resemblance to it's ancestor and plays
very differently.

WAA presents the entire globe and all the nation's forces at a constant
scale; a feat that would be impossible in card-board and paper.  Thanks
to VASSAL beta version 3.2's new image tiling process, the huge bitmap
images can be displayed efficiently on a typical home computer making
the WAA project realizable in electronic form.

WAA is structured as a base game system upon which scenarios sit. Each
scenario comes with a separate scenario booklet that describes the
specific rules and circumstances for that scenario. A number of
historically-based scenarios come with the game. Many more scenarios can
be developed in the future, either officially or ad-hoc by players.

At this time three of us are play-testing the European Campaign and
would like to expand the playtest by two or three players.  We play two
to three evenings a week starting at 9:30 PM EST and usually wrapping up
by 11:30 PM (later on weekends).

Here are some images of the game in development:
http://aworldatarms.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7[1]

Here are some images of our latest playtest of the European campaign:
http://aworldatarms.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=13[2]

If you are interested in participating, send me a private message.

-Mark Royer

[1] http://aworldatarms.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7
[2] http://aworldatarms.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=13