[messages] [Developers] VASSAL 3.2.0 tomorrow?

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Sat Nov 3 11:47:15 MST 2012

Thus spake barbanera:

> "uckelman" wrote:
> >
> > Is X-Men_playing actually the correct syntax for the property
> > expression? Is the hypen being interpreted as a minus?
> >

> I think you are onto something here: I changed the name of the gp from
> X-Men_playing to X_Men_playing and now it works.
>
> Note that I have tons of variable starting with X-Men (X-Men_playing,
> X-Men_owner, X-Men_nemesis, etc) and changing them all would be very
> time consuming, as there are tons of restrict commands based on those.
>
> I guess that maybe the update to allow for property expressions in the
> follow property field of layers for some reason doesn't like the "-"
> (minus) sign in variable names. It might be a general problem with
> property expressions, though, which only showed up now because _maybe_ I
> am not using the "X-Men.." variables in other traits which take property
> expressions.

If this is the cause of the problem, then "X-Men_plyaing" is being
interpreted as the value of the variable X minus the value of the
variable Men_playing.

I find it weird that we ever permitted variable names to contain
anything other than A-Z, a-z, 0-9, and underscore---so my inclination
is to consider the old behavior a bug, not the new behavior.