[messages] [General Discussion] setup own server

Filip ari0ch at wp.pl
Sun Nov 4 13:51:09 MST 2012

Ok, I've been experimenting today.

Am I right that classes in VASSAL.chat.peer2peer are only for direct
peer to peer games and have nothing to do with main server games? It
appears to me that the only purpose of
http://www.vassalengine.org/util/getMyAddress[1] in
VASSAL.chat.peer2peer.DirectPeerPool.java is reading player's IP for
such games. Is that how it knows what to display in the p2p connection
window? Is there more to it?

Instances of vassalengine.org in other VASSAL.chat.peer2peer classes are
in inactive parts of the code. My current guess is that leaving
http://www.vassalengine.org/util/getMyAddress[2] alone should be safe.

My actual suspects are:

src/VASSAL/chat/HttpMessageServer.java:
"http://www.vassalengine.org/util/getMessages", //$NON-NLS-1$
src/VASSAL/chat/HttpMessageServer.java:
"http://www.vassalengine.org/util/postMessage", //$NON-NLS-1$
src/VASSAL/chat/HttpMessageServer.java:
"http://www.vassalengine.org/util/motd",        //$NON-NLS-1$

src/VASSAL/chat/CgiServerStatus.java:    request = new
HttpRequestWrapper("http://www.vassalengine.org/util/"); //$NON-NLS-1$

I tried creating empty files with those names to the server config
folder, and changed all URLs as appropriate. This build shows no games
in server stats. I'm not sure if that fixed the problem, but at least it
didn't break anything - I'm still able to connect to my server. I need
to test it with other players, but I guess we'll just have to wait for
the next main server failure to know for sure. Unless you can point out
something that I ignored.

[1] http://www.vassalengine.org/util/getMyAddress
[2] http://www.vassalengine.org/util/getMyAddress