[messages] [Developers] Cleaning out the tiles directory

mroyer mroyer1 at comcast.net
Fri Nov 16 06:58:51 MST 2012

A low priority issue that probably should be addressed someday for 3.2
and beyond.

It appears that the tiling does not clean up after itself when a new
version of a module is released and retiled.  The old, dormant tiles are
still in the AppData/Roaming/VASSAL/tiles directory (at least on Windows
7).  For most modules, this isn't a big deal as they are fairly stable
and not modified very often. But for some modules, especially those in
development, out of date tiles can accumulate to a large volume.

For example, I just discovered and removed over 800 MBytes of tiles.

<!-- ia0 -->Tiles.png<!-- ia0 -->

Like I said, this is low priority and my case is probably unusually
large - but, nevertheless, some mechanism for handling this or at least
letting general users know that it may need to be cleaned out is
probably appropriate.

-Mark R.