[messages] [Developers] Cleaning out the tiles directory

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Fri Nov 16 15:00:30 MST 2012

Thus spake mroyer:

> A low priority issue that probably should be addressed someday for 3.2
> and beyond.

There won't be any need for writing tiles to disk for V4---at least not
for the reference C++ client. (In the C++ demo, decoding even very large
images and slicing them into tiles in memory never takes more than two
or three seconds; writing them to disk would be a waste of time.) So
this is only an issue for 3.2.

> It appears that the tiling does not clean up after itself when a new
> version of a module is released and retiled.  The old, dormant tiles are
> still in the AppData/Roaming/VASSAL/tiles directory (at least on Windows
> 7).  For most modules, this isn't a big deal as they are fairly stable
> and not modified very often. But for some modules, especially those in
> development, out of date tiles can accumulate to a large volume.

still also load the old version. So how can we detect that tiles can
be removed?