[messages] [Developers] Cleaning out the tiles directory

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Sun Nov 18 08:00:32 MST 2012

Thus spake mroyer:

> "uckelman" wrote:
> >
> > It's not a rhetorical question. I'm asking you to propose a method
> > of detecting when tiles can be removed. I don't know of one myself.
> >
> > --
> > J.
>

> If having multiple versions is sometimes desired and sometimes
> undesired, then I guess there's probably not an automated way to know.
> The information would need to come from the user regarding whether
> he/she wanted multiple versions to be active at once.

One thing I'd considered was setting a maximum tile cache size, where
least recently used modules would have their tiles expired when the
limit was reached. I didn't implement this for two reasons:

* It would add yet another setting (maximum tile cache size) that most
users would lack sufficeint context to set intelligently, and

* You can't rely on file atimes anymore now that people are using SSDs
with filesystems that don't set atimes, so we'd have to write code for
tracking the last time each tile directory was used.