[messages] [Developers] Cleaning out the tiles directory

mroyer mroyer1 at comcast.net
Mon Nov 19 15:36:01 MST 2012

The only other thing I can think of is if there were a "last played"
date property of the module and tiles expire after some time (whether
hardcoded or user-preference settable).  But, quite frankly, I'm not
sure the issue is worth the effort especially where it's a v3.2 issue
only.  When I first reported it, I didn't realize I was running into a
corner-case of design intent.

"uckelman" wrote:

> There won't be any need for writing tiles to disk for V4---at least
> not
> for the reference C++ client. (In the C++ demo, decoding even very
> large
> images and slicing them into tiles in memory never takes more than two
> or three seconds; writing them to disk would be a waste of time.) So
> this is only an issue for 3.2.
>
> J.

Has anyone tried this with my module?  I'm going to go out on a limb and
speculate that the module probably has the largest map images of any
VASSAL module to date, so it would be a good stress test for V4
in-memory tiling.  The module is unreleased, but if anyone wants to test
how it "slices" in v4 I can make it available.

-Mark R.