[messages] [Developers] VASSAL 3.2.0 tomorrow?

Brent Easton b.easton at exemail.com.au
Mon Nov 19 16:15:44 MST 2012

> There's no difference in piece alignment.

Joel,
As far as I can tell, this is a bug that has always been there so you
won't see any difference between 3.1 and 3.2.

The issue is that the snap-to point for a hex grid is not actually in
the centre of the each hex. If you look closely at your example above,
you can see that the square counter is just touching the hex grid at the
top left, but is a couple of pixels clear at the bottom right.

This is not a good example because this grid is part of the map, but I
confirmed it is an issue by testing on a map where the grid and centre
points are drawn by vassal. I then created a dummy semi-transparent
counted where the centre point is highlighted and it is clear that the
centre of the counter is not on the centre point of the hex.

The Snap-to centre code and the hex grid drawing code use different code
to calculate the hex centre and they are not producing the same results.
The Snap-to code is generating co-ords a couple of pixels off-centre.