[messages] [Developers] What needs t o be resolved before 3.2.0?

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Mon Nov 26 14:02:03 MST 2012

Thus spake mroyer:

> "mroyer" wrote:
> > I still think there's a memory-leak problem in 3.2 related to
> > unloading image tiles and with large modules eventually causes
> > problems.
>

> I think I've finally isolated this issue.
>
> If I scroll around, zoom in and out, until the java.exe has consumed
> it's entire heap allocation, then I set the zoom level to 100% or higher
> (maybe this is related to the size of a tile vs the size of the visible
> image?) and set the map window to straddle the boundary between two
> large map images such that a portion of each map is visible, the tiles
> never stop re-painting themselves causing the map image tiles to blink
> and flash endlessly (and occasionally, after a while, throw an
> exception/eek bug).  If I reduce the image size to less than 100% (75%
> in my case) and/or move the window off the map boundary, the
> flashing/blinking stops and the map repaints itself correctly and only
> once (at least that I can see).

To what do you have your max heap set?

The most likely reason this is happening is that the image cache is being
cleared before what's on your screen is finished painting, which triggers
reloading those same images during the next repaint cycle, which again
causes the cache to clear partway through.