[messages] [General Discussion] setup own server

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Thu Sep 6 08:19:46 MST 2012

Thus spake Filip:
> Uh, I don't think so. How do I "start a server process"?

java -Djava.util.logging.config.file=logging.properties -cp Vengine.jar -Xmx512M VASSAL.chat.node.Server -port 5050 -URL http://www.vassalengine.org/util/ >& ./log/vassal-server &

You'll need to change the URL to the one for the directory where you put
getServerImpl.

> Based on this thread so far, my understanding was that server code is
> part of Vassal itself and no additional applications need to run on my
> machine as long as other clients know where to connect. Guess I was
> wrong?

Yes, you have to run a game server in order to have something to connect
to.