[messages] [Developers] Roadmap for VASSAL 4

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Mon Sep 10 04:37:36 MST 2012

Thus spake Julien Cassignol:

> Hey guys,
>
> Yesterday we had an interesting talk with Uckelman (to which Tim added his
> opinion later on but everyone was sleeping), and I thought that it'd be
> worth talking here.
>
> As to release planning and features delivery for V4, what would you prefer?
>
> 1) "Rolling-release" like, that is implementing feature by feature then
> releasing that feature into main V4 when deemed stable enough
> 2) Monolithic release, that is implementing all features and releasing when
> they're all in

I prefer doing frequent releases for V4, with one caveat: We must be
careful to communicate to users what V4 releases are.

There will be many, many releases of V4 before it's a replacement for
V3 for everyone. We don't want users getting the idea that V4 is a V3
replacement before it actually is; that will lead to a lot of user
disappointment and frustration. I'm not sure how best to manage user
expectations here---my initial thought is that we call V4 releases
"demos" until there's a V4 release which implements all of the V3
features.