[messages] [Technical Support & Bugs] VASSAL only works with some window managers

crispycritter tcrispin at austin.rr.com
Wed Sep 12 21:09:41 MST 2012

More info:

strace wasn't all that helpful as the nature of the calls logged
differed greatly.  I modified VASSAL.sh with -verbose and attached is
the the output from 'diff awm.txt mint.txt > javadiff.txt' where
mint.txt is a correctly running version and awm.txt is one that fails.
It looks like it gets to the dialog and when it works we get

> [Loaded javax.swing.event.MenuDragMouseEvent ...

 but in the failing case the Menu doesn't "take"
< [Loaded java.awt.geom.Area from
/usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64/jre/lib/rt.jar]
< [Loaded sun.awt.geom.Curve from
/usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64/jre/lib/rt.jar]
< [Loaded sun.awt.geom.Order0 from
/usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64/jre/lib/rt.jar]
< [Loaded sun.awt.geom.Order1 from
/usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64/jre/lib/rt.jar]

I rebuilt the simple window manager to remove all mouse support and
window manager detection of button events, but to no avail.

Am going to think about trashing Linux Mint on the home machine and
using SL6, but we had issues getting that to work last time it was
tried.

Sigh