[messages] [Developers] Roadmap for VASSAL 4

JoelCFC25 jkoepp at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 15 18:34:42 MST 2012

> I would like to see some thought to developing a list of game
> 'mechanisms', for want of a better word, that must be supported.

Since you mentioned games with cards, and most of my module building
time has been devoted to coming up ways to accomplish fairly ordinary
card-related tasks that can only be done in VASSAL 3 with
cringe-inducing rat's nests of triggers, STLs, GKCs, and so on...

Here are some basic functions that should be available out-of-the-box:

  * Dealing cards. The way I'm doing it is pretty hairy, especially for
a game with 6 player sides!
  * Discarding random cards (or items in general, from Player Hands or
Private Windows).
  * Giving a random card to another player
  * Giving a specific card to another player (probably something you
could enable/disable with a module-level preference depending on whether
or not the game allows this
  * Some way of doing "Take the top X cards from the deck, choose some
number of them, return/discard the rest". This shouldn't require the
player to actually pull all the cards into his hand first, it would need
some sort of picker and send things to the right places according to the
player choices.
  * More flexible player hand windows. Sometimes a game might benefit
from being able to set up a non-standard layout, or always make sure new
cards get added on the left or right, etc. I don't have fully-formed
ideas on this, but suspect the current way is a constraint on some
games.

There are probably lots more just on the topic of card handling, but
these are the ones I've thought about based on what I've found difficult
(or impossible) to do in VASSAL 3.