[messages] [Technical Support & Bugs] VASSAL only works with some window managers

crispycritter tcrispin at austin.rr.com
Mon Sep 17 18:45:42 MST 2012

After much experimentation and editing of the manager code, i've learned
that VASSAL does, in fact, sort of run.  What happens is that the JAVA
environment isn't recognizing that I've moved the VASSAL dialog box from
0:0 and so the menu display is lost in never-never land.  If I drag the
dialog box to the upper left corner, it runs correctly although the menu
item highlighting isn't perfectly aligned with the displayed mouse
position.  But only on this machine -- on my office computer the window
manager and VASSAL work happily together.

Not sure what the window manager is doing that JAVA (swing?) doesn't
like, since in some nine years of use this is the first problem
compatibility problem I've encountered.

Will continue to experiment and will report if I discover anything
possibly useful.