[messages] [Technical Support & Bugs] Moving pieces onto map and triggers

JoelCFC25 jkoepp at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 18 06:51:03 MST 2012

FAO Brent or Joel...

The most-requested feature addition to my Here I Stand and Virgin Queen
modules has been automated score tracking. Maybe I'm trying something
that is stretching the limits of what VASSAL 3 can do, but here goes...

I am employing the map-level feature that applies a key command to all
units ending movement on a map. In these games, players have square
control markers (SCMs) that are always either on a player's personal
display card or on the map. Every time an SCM moves from the display
card to the map to denote control of a newly-acquired space, the
player's score increases. When an SCM comes off the map and goes back to
the display card, the player's score decreases. Each SCM contains 2
triggers: one that fires when the CurrentBoard is the map AND the
OldBoard is the player card, the other one is the reverse. When the
property match is satisfied, a Global Key Command is applied to the
player's Victory Point (VP) score marker incrementing or decrementing
his global property by the appropriate amount and moving the VP marker
on the track.

In testing, this almost always works just fine. However, sometimes the
messages that accompany these commands come out 2 or 3 times instead of
just once, an indication that the triggered command has occurred
multiple times. The conditions under which this improperly doubled or
tripled score adjustment occurs are neither predictable nor repeatable.
That is, if I see the glitch and then use the Undo feature and repeat
the drag of the SCM from one window to the other, the next time the
score correctly adjusts just once.

I have not tried this module using 3.2 beta, which is something that
just occurred to me. I'll do that today. I'd really like to release
these modules with this feature, I think it would be a huge
improvement--but if it's unpredictably glitchy I'll need to scrap it.

Here is a link to the module, if anyone is able to replicate this issue
and perhaps diagnose it:  http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18916235/Virgin ...
1.6VP.vmod[1]

1. Start the module
2. Choose either the Campaign or Tournament Scenario
3. Open the Power Cards display.
4. Optionally, open the Weddings/VP window where the VP track is to see
the VP markers move
5. Drag an SCM belonging to any power from the Power Cards display to
the main map. Repeat this dragging in either direction until you get the
glitch.

[1] http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18916235/Virgin_Queen_1.6VP.vmod