[messages] [Developers] What needs t o be resolved before 3.2.0?

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Sat Sep 22 07:48:43 MST 2012

Thus spake barbanera:
> Speaking about tiles, how exactly do they work? I mean.. are they saved
> everytime one loads the same module with a different build of Vassal?

No, new tiles should be computed for a module only when the images in
a module have changed.

> It's weird, because after wiping out completely the
> AppData/Roaming/VASSAL/tiles and starting MH 1.2 with build 8355 tiles
> were saved in a certain new folder:
> 1) __is it normal they took 100 Mb of space when the original images
> themselves take only 40 Mb or so?__

Yes, because the tiles are gzipped raw image data, so the compression
isn't as tight as in the image files.

> then I quit and reloaded the same module with build 8313
> 2) __is it normal that this time no tiles were saved?__

Yes.

> then I quit and reloaded the same module with beta 1
> 3) __is it normal that this time tiles were saved again, and in the same
> folder as for the 8355 build, for a total of 200 Mb in use?__

Yes, but this is due to some changes made after beta1 was released. The
behavior of beta1 wasn't correct.

> Finally,
> __4) shouldn't there be an automatic tiles removal process when somebody
> does a "Remove Module"?__

Yes. Fixed in 3.2.0-svn8370.