[messages] [Module Design] Transparent Mask, Auto Level? Character Select

cjmeate mikeebmusic at aim.com
Thu Aug 1 23:22:46 MST 2013

Hi guys. A few days ago I stumbled upon VassalEngine, while looking for
some board game reviews. Fast forward a few days later, and I have been
spending every minute of daylight practicing and reading everything I
can. This program is literally incredible. Anyways,
1)
I am wondering if I may get some help using a transparent mask. Whenever
I choose, "Use Image" and refer my transparent backing, the front of the
card does not show. My transparency is very high, but I have a feeling
something is blocking the front image from coming through. Using the
inset option works, but is not as aesthetically pleasing as I would have
liked. The deck contains over 500 cards, so going through each card and
setting a 2nd mask does not seem feasible. I also am not even sure
where/what would consist in a second mask. As I am an infant in all
this, if someone could give me step-by-step instructions on how to
achieve what I wish, I would SINCERELY appreciate it.

Current settings: All cards have basic piece with FRONT image. They are
then given a prototype with a mask, which has the card backing under the
first choice "View When Masked." I have the second option as inset,
which does allow the front of the card to poke through but is not
optimal. The mask is the 2nd choice from the top (2nd to last executed?)
. The last executed is a prototype (nested inside the main card send
prototype) which allows all cards to be seen when on the main bored, but
obscuredToOthers when they are in my selected region.
All cards are shuffled always, face down always, and drawn face down.
Everything seems to work, except being able to get the mask to actually
be what I would like.
2)
The second part of my question I will summarize quickly. I would like to
know if I could have my combat level and regular level automated. I will
be placing "bonuses" inside grid locked slots (think equipping armor)
and would like to make the game total and display the sum of these
bonuses. It would have to take into account my player level, and then
sum this with the total bonuses on the table. I believe I would have to
go through and set values for each card, which is fine, but I am not
really sure how to go about doing anything like this. Again, I am still
wet on my feet and doing everything I can to absorb your knowledge!
3)
Also, Is there any way for me to start players with  a random, instantly
dealt hand at the beginning of the game? It would just make things look
really cool if they went to their hand, and in front of them were a
bunch of random cards.

4)Lastly, Is there any way to grey out characters, after they have been
selected on the character screen? Currently, I just have to drag the
pieces in and move them manually. There is no way to delete a piece
after I have placed it on the board though. Is there any way I could set
up a zone, where I double click on the character I want, (they are just
game pawns) and it appears in the zone and greys out up top? Is there
any way I can bring up a character selection screen instantly?

I am sorry for taking your time, but I really do appreciate every second
you spend helping me. I have a whole bunch more questions, but will lay
off and see if anyone could make explain the one's I asked. Thank you
again, friends.