[messages] [Technical Support & Bugs] Vassal will not run on a laptop

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Fri Aug 23 13:53:00 MST 2013

Thus spake LED:
> Thank you for your advice which has proved most useful.
>
> The computer firewall is ZoneAlarm.  I was unable to persuade it to
> accept Vassal, so after some experimenting, the Application Control
> section of ZoneAlarm was temporarily shut off, after which Vassal ran
> properly.

It should be possible to tell ZoneAlarm that connections over the
loopback device are ok. (It's braindead that ZoneAlarm blocks the
loopback device in the first place, because the loopback device is
not connected to the Internet---it is wholly local.) What you should
be looking for in ZoneAlarm is "127.0.0.1", "loopback", or "localhost".
I don't know what ZoneAlarm will be calling it, but there ought to be
some way to permit access.