[messages] [General Discussion] Will Vassal do what I need it to?

Penwith khornishman at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 25 09:13:40 MST 2013

Hello,

I am in serious need of a software aide for running a miniature wargame
campaign. I am therefore asking those "in the know" whether or not
Vassal can handle the following campaign requirements for such an aide.

1) Run a single player, as in no opponent, game (essentially an Umpire
only game) where I can manipulate all of the counters for the campaign
players (and thus not complicate their campaign experience by having to
use a new program and the importing/exporting of turn files). But, I
want this to be done without having to save turn files and
importing/exporting turns.

I just want to be able to open the program, move the unit counters,
print an image file of the whole campaign map at one go, and then close
the program.

2) Allow "on the fly" creation of new unit counters (for when players
add regiments,squadrons, batteries to their army lists).

3) Allow me to create and store battlemaps, within the same module as
the campaign map, which would then be templates for battles to be fought
using miniatures on a tabletop.

My intent is to post a campaign diary on a blog, with each campaign turn
recorded as an image. All of the player's unit counters, including
fortifications, would be visible in this one image.

Also, each player is to create their own flag and I would want to import
those to be used on their unit counters.

Any help I could get in response would be most welcome.