[messages] [Module Design] Adjusting Counter Facing on Placement

wargamerx wargamerx at verizon.net
Wed Feb 13 13:55:41 MST 2013

I'm trying to modify an existing module that has maps with a horizontal
hex grain.  Facing is critical for counters on the map, counters must
face one of the 6 hexsides.  Unfortunately when the counter is placed,
it doesn't have the right facing.

The original module gets around this by allowing 12 rather than 6 faces,
but that makes it cumbersome for users to change the facing of a unit.
I found the following thread that covers a case like this, but I'm
somewhat of a noob, and can't follow some of the instructions.

http://www.vassalengine.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=516&p=3724&hilit=facing#p3724

Brent's solution is as follows:

> Your problem here is that the Can Rotate trait always assumes that the
> origin of rotation is 0 degrees, so it's 'natural' state is not one of
> the rotations you want. However it is what you want for the palette.
> So, you will have to set the number of rotations to 12 (30 deg steps)
>
> The first trigger from landing on the Map (The Alt-Ctrl-R) can bump it
> one click clockwise to align it with the grid.
>
> Then, hide the commands for Rotate Right (say Alt-Ctrl-R) and Rotate
> Left (Alt-Ctrl-L) and create two new Trigger Actions for Rotate Right
> (Ctrl-R) and Rotate Left (Ctrl-L) that appear in the menu.
>
> Have Rotate Right issue Alt-Ctrl-R TWICE whenever it is activated
> Have Rotate Left issue Alt-Ctrl-L TWICE whenever it is activated.
>
> Players can't see the Alt-Ctrl-R and Alt-Ctrl-L commands and they are
> unusual enough that they should not be pressed by accident.

Brent says to 'hide the commands'; how is this done?  I assume I need to
assign the Can Rotate function (with 12 faces) to the units or one of
their prototypes, but how do you hide it from the user?

Jeff