[messages] [Module Design] Funny stuff with decks

DrNostromo drnostromo at drnostromo.com
Fri Feb 15 08:51:32 MST 2013

I'll let someone else address the shuffle problem but as far as the
other...

> I set a Restrict Command on the Hotel prototype to hide the Sale
> command if {Houses_numPieces < 4}. But it always hides the Sale
> commands, even if the Houses deck is full of houses (for example, even
> if it has all 32 remaining). Is this the correct syntax for the
> condition?

Is the deck of houses on the main board? numPieces will only work if you
are using it on the same board as the deck. If the deck is on a
different board than that board you're using the numPieces variable on,
the result will always be zero. Therefore, the Sale command will always
be restricted.

If they are on the same board, make sure the house deck properties has
the "Perform counting of property expressions?" checked. You don't need
to add an expression, but it does need to be checked to use the
numPieces variable.

Side note: Is there a reason the other decks need to be shuffled only
once? If they are set to always shuffle, all that really means is that
when a card is drawn, it will be a random card. If I recall my Monopoly
rules from the past, I can't think of any reason why the deck would need
to be set in a specific shuffled order.