[messages] [Technical Support & Bugs] Missing card and counter text

mgringo michael.gouker at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 08:54:02 MST 2013

"uckelman" wrote:
> Thus spake mgringo:
> >
> "gdaudin" wrote:
> >

> > > BTW, Michael, what is the version of Java run by Vassal when you
> > start
> > > it "normally" ?
> > >
> > > /quote]
> > >
> > > The short answer: The first one java finds in your class path.
> > >
> > > What we are doing is overriding the existing class path to
> > guarantee
> > > that we find only the jars that we know are correct. Your comment
> > before
> > > about the system not starting because of the version indicated to
> > me
> > > that there was still an invalid connection to a jar from a
> > preexisting
> > > version (it was compiled with an earlier library). So uekelman's
> > > technique excluded all the other virtual machines and launching
> > from the
> > > command line specifying only the minimal number of jars ruled
> > everything
> > > else out.
> >
> > This is not entirely accurate. You're conflating two unrelated
> > things,
> > the PATH, and Java's classpath. Which JRE binary is used when 'java'
> > is invoked is determined by the leftmost directory on the PATH
> > contains
> > which contains a file called 'java'. The Java classpath is something
> > that the JRE uses to find class files. It has a similar function as
> > the
> > PATH, but is specific to Java and is something which gets specified
> > when you start the JRE. There is no way that you can set the
> > classpath
> > which whill affect which JRE is started.
> >
> > The reason that you can launch VASSAL by specifying lib/Vengine.jar
> > as
> > the entire classpath is that Vengine.jar contains a manifest file
> > which
> > adds the jars on which we depend to the classpath. The point of this
> > is
> > that it makes it harder to get the classpath wrong.

> > the PATH (which, BTW, you can print with 'echo $PATH').
> >
> > --
> > J.

or "whereis java" with /usr/bin/java the most likely answer.

Any binary is found with $PATH - not just java. The "special" problem he
has with mis-matched jars really seems to be a bad installation (perhaps
jars from multiple versions?) I don't know really, but reducing the
variables is always a good strategy. Maybe there are shared object
libraries too? PATH _would_ be a factor then.

Warmest regards,

Michael