[messages] [Technical Support & Bugs] Vassal 3.2.2 on Mac OS X won't start

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Tue Feb 26 02:49:02 MST 2013

Thus spake dhurtt:
> Is there something other than PATH that the Mac version needs? I can go
> into Terminal and launch VASSAL.sh without a problem now, but the Mac
> version continues to fail to launch.

I don't know. JavaApplicationStub inside the Mac bundle is what starts
java. If you can't start VASSAL from the Mac bundle, then my best guess
is that JavaApplicationStub is not finding java. JavaApplicationStub is
something provided by Apple---it's not ours. So I don't know where it
looks for java.

Ah, just found this:

  http://lists.apple.com/archives/java-dev/2012/Apr/msg00114.html

Bugger. It looks like JavaApplicationStub doesn't work with Java 7,
and the solution is... to bundle a JRE with your app. Gah! The
situation with Java gets worse by the day.

I'm not sure what to do about this.

> Also, you indicated that a Vassal directory would be created under
> /Library/Application Support/ but it does not when launching the ZIP
> version. Is that an indication of a problem, or is that something done
> by the Mac version?

That's ~/Library/Application Support, not /Library/Application Support.