[messages] [Developers] Custom Code Development

mroyer mroyer1 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 3 06:54:54 MST 2013

I was going to post a question in the "Module Design" forums regarding
best Java IDE to use to develop some custom code classes for a VASSAL
3.2 module and ask for some general tips on getting going (I have a fair
amount of C#.NET on Visual Studio IDE experience, but no Java experience
whatsoever).

But...
I was scanning some of the VASSAL 4.0 discussion and it appears Java
will become deprecated in favor of C++ (have I got that correct?).  If
so, when is VASSAL 4.0 targetted for release; is it near term like this
year, or far term in several years?  Should I mush onward and go through
the effort of learning Java/Java IDE and write my custom code for VASSAL
3.2 or should I jump on board VASSAL 4.0 and write in C++ (if that's
even possible yet).

On the one hand, I want to minimize being overwhelmed by learning curves
for obsolete development paths; but on the other hand, I don't want to
wait too long to develop the code.

Recommendations?

Thanks,
-Mark R.