[messages] [Developers] Custom Code Development

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Wed Jan 9 14:25:55 MST 2013

Thus spake mroyer:
> I was going to post a question in the "Module Design" forums regarding
> best Java IDE to use to develop some custom code classes for a VASSAL
> 3.2 module and ask for some general tips on getting going (I have a fair
> amount of C#.NET on Visual Studio IDE experience, but no Java experience
> whatsoever).
>
> But...
> I was scanning some of the VASSAL 4.0 discussion and it appears Java
> will become deprecated in favor of C++ (have I got that correct?).  If
> so, when is VASSAL 4.0 targetted for release; is it near term like this
> year, or far term in several years?  Should I mush onward and go through
> the effort of learning Java/Java IDE and write my custom code for VASSAL
> 3.2 or should I jump on board VASSAL 4.0 and write in C++ (if that's
> even possible yet).

I'm expecting that we'll release V4 demos throughout 2013, but I'm not
willing to commit to when we'll reach feature parity with V3.2.

Any custom code you'd be writing for V4 would be in Python, not C++, as
only the core will be in C++. Module scripting wil be in Python. The API
you'd need to code against doesn't exist yet, but will exist sometime in
2013.